Easy home-made Pizza
Almost nothing beats a hot, cheesy home-made pizza and when you’ve made it yourself, you can control the calories. This recipe makes six individual pizzas that can be cooked from frozen for a quick and convenient meal at short notice. It doesn’t matter if your pizza bases are slightly odd shapes when you roll – in fact I think they look better for it. Prep 20mins plus rising.
- 200 ml warm water
- 2 tsp fast action dried yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 350 g strong white flour, plus extra for rolling
- oil, for spraying or brushing
- ground black pepper
- 300 g tomato pizza topping (jar or can)
- 150 g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 100 g thinly sliced smoked ham, torn into strips
- 100 g ready grated mozzarella, from a packet
- Pour the water into a large mixing bowl and stir in the yeast, oil, sugar and salt. Add the flour and mix with a spoon and then your hands until the ingredients form a dough. Turn out onto a very lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls and roll each one into a circle roughly 23cm in diameter and around 5mm thick. Place each circle on a square of baking parchment as soon as it is rolled.
- Spread the pizzas with the tomato topping and top and arrange the ham and mushrooms over it. Sprinkle with the grated mozzarella and leave to rise for 1 – 1 ½ hours until well risen and puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 240C/Fan 220C/Gas 9. Spray each of pizza with a little oil, or brush the edges with olive oil, and season all over with ground black pepper. Place the pizza, still on it’s baking parchment, on a baking tray and cook for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the edges of the pizza are golden brown.
- Place on a plate and cook the other pizzas in the same way. Garnish with fresh basil and eat with a large salad. Calories per pizza: 310
To freezeOpen freeze the pizzas on baking trays in the freezer after rising. Once solid, place in large freezer bags and freeze for up to 1 month. Take out the amount you need and bake the pizzas from frozen for 12 minutes.
Cook's tipFor a veggie friendly pizza, top with sun-blush tomato pieces instead of the ham.
Buy ‘CAKES, COOKIES & BREAD’ Without the Calories: takes all the hassle out of baking and eating the low cal way