Tuna and Sweetcorn Pasta
Lots of broccoli helps make this easy dish more substantial and by making the sauce using an all-in-one method, you can get away with less fat. Make sure your whisk is covered with heatproof silicone if you use a non-stick pan to make the sauce, otherwise you could damage the coating of the pan.
- 100 g dried pasta shapes , such as fusilli or penne
- 150 g broccoli , cut into small florets
- 198 g can sweetcorn , drained
- 185 g can tuna in water or brine , drained
- 25 g butter
- 40 g plain flour
- 500 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 75 g ready-grated mozzarella
- flaked sea salt
- ground black pepper
- Half fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the pasta, return to the boil and cook for 10-12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, stirring occasionally until tender. Add the broccoli florets and cook for 1 minute more.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce. Put the butter, flour and milk in a non-stick saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer, whisking constantly with a silicone whisk.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and smooth, stirring continuously. Add half the cheese and season with salt and black pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes more, stirring until the cheese has melted. Preheat the grill to its hottest setting.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli in a large colander and return to the pan. Gently stir in the hot cheese sauce and sweetcorn until thoroughly combined. Flake the tuna into the saucepan and stir lightly so it doesn’t break up too much.
- Tip the tuna mixture into a warmed flameproof dish (a lasagna dish is ideal) or six individual pie dishes. Place on a baking tray and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Grill for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.