Tomatoes on Toasted Sourdough
This makes a fantastic breakfast served with a strong cup of coffee. It’s best eaten when the weather is hot and the tomatoes are very ripe. Slicing the sourdough very thinly makes the serving size look generous but keeps the calories low. Serve as a snack or light supper too.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 4 thin slices sourdough bread (each about 35g)
- ½ garlic clove
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- flaked sea salt
- ground black pepper
- Mix the tomatoes with the vinegar, a good pinch of salt and lots of ground black pepper.
- Toast the bread or cook it on a hot griddle until lightly browned. Rub one side of each piece of toast with the garlic then put the toast on a plate.
- Top with the tomatoes, dribble with the oil and serve.