I love this spicy start to a lazy weekend and it makes a wonderful lunch or supper dish too. Choose mini flour tortilla wraps to serve alongside.
- oil, for spraying or brushing
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ½-1 tsp hot smoked paprika, depending on taste
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 400 g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 15 g fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 4 very fresh fridge-cold eggs
- 40 g ready-grated mozzarella or half-fat cheddar (optional)
- 4 mini flour tortilla wraps (each about 30g)
- ground black pepper
- lime wedges, to serve
- Spray or brush a large non-stick frying pan with oil. Add the onion and pepper and fry gently for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the paprika and cook for a few seconds more. Tip the tomatoes and kidney beans into the pan and add the tomato puree. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick. Stir in the coriander.
- Make a hole in the tomato mixture and break an egg into it. Repeat with the other eggs. Season the eggs with black pepper, cover the pan with a lid or large piece of silver foil and cook for 4-5 minutes until the egg whites have set and the yolks are hot but runny. If adding the cheese, sprinkle it over the eggs after the first couple of minutes so it has time to melt. Scatter more coriander over the top if you like.
- Meanwhile, heat the tortillas in the microwave or a moderate oven according to the packet instructions. Take the eggs and beans to the table and serve with the warm tortillas and lime wedges for squeezing.