Smoked Mackerel, Fennel and Orange Salad
- 1 small fennel bulb (about 200g), trimmed
- 1 chicory bulb (about 125g)
- 2 large oranges
- 4 cooked beetroot (about 250g), drained if in vinegar, cut into wedges
- 3 smoked mackerel fillets (about 175g), skinned
- 50g bunch or bag watercress (or lamb’s lettuce), trimmed
For the Honey Citrus Dressing
- 2tsp harissa paste
- 1tbsp clear honey
- 2tbsp orange juice
- flaked sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Prepare the vegetables and fruit. Cut the fennel bulb into wafer-thin slices lengthways. Trim the chicory bulb and separate the leaves.
Slice the ends off the oranges and place them on a chopping board, cut side down. Using a small sharp knife, cut off the peel and pith, working your way around the orange. Next, slice the oranges and put the slices in a salad bowl but do not add any juice from your board. This can be added to the dressing.
To make the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
Arrange all the fennel, chicory, orange, beetroot and leaves on a platter. Tear the mackerel into large flakes and scatter on top. Drizzle with the dressing just before serving. Calories per serving: 258.